Friday, January 25, 2008

Coping

When I started this blog I really only had one post in mind - this one. Coping. How can you cope with epilepsy? It is not easy. Ultimately, it’s not about coping. It’s about overcoming. But you can’t get there unless you know how to cope.

First and foremost, don’t let assholes that think they know what you are going thru, pass judgment on who you are. Judging from my experiences, most people are simply ‘put-out’ that they must deal with your eccentricities. Even if you can work, most likely your boss is never satisfied with what you bring to the table.

Don’t let that bother you. Don’t let their judgments decide who you are. Those are the people in your life that don’t really know or care about your handicap.

And that’s another thing. Epilepsy is a handicap that isn’t readily noticeable. Even if you explain it, they often forget or disregard that knowledge entirely. (It’s never really real until they see you flopping around on the floor.) Plus, it’s hard for them to imagine what a petite seizure is. They don’t get it. They don’t understand the pain and suffering that accompanies a grand-mal. But you can bet that most bosses don’t cut you any slack.

No doubt I’m not telling you something you already know. What I can offer is an easy way to explain your condition that has a lasting impact, and hopefully will stick in their mind.

Try this: "31.5 percent of all people with my form of epilepsy commit suicide. You want to tell me again why your problems are more important than mine?"

Now, that statistic probably isn’t true. I heard that statistic from a drunk lawyer in Las Vegas. I’ve never been able to find any kind of real numbers on suicide, but that’s not the point. The point is this statistic is an easy and dramatic way to convey that living with epilepsy isn’t easy.

I have heard that suicide among my shaky brethren is rather high. I always took solace from that fact. Since you are alive and reading this I implore you to realize that you are already strong. You are strong for enduring. Only professional boxers after a 15 round split decision know how a grand-mal feels. And without many visible battle scars, know one knows your pain. Take it from me, you are already strong.

Endurance of suffering like this also allows you a certain arrogance. I often think about a Monty Python skit that I love. It’s called "Four Yorkshiremen."

Oh, yeah. Well, I had it tough.

Arrogance derived from suffering allows you the ability to disregard fools. Rarely will you come across anyone that has suffered as much as you. You and I have had it tough. You don’t have to sweat the small things. And if anyone demands to know why, give them the long version of living with epilepsy. My full story leaves people shell shocked. They are never the same again.

I’ll be back with more coping. Right now I have to do something I enjoy just for me. You should also.

0 comments: